"The leadership accepts that the policy marks a big step, but insists that it is not adopting the 'nanny state'."Heaven forfend.
Incidentally, the duties of these putative Poppinses (for all mothers, whether they need it or not) include:
- Showing new mothers how to breastfeed and bathe their baby;
- Looking after older children and making sure healthy meals are provided;
- Taking care of laundry and light household cleaning;
- Monitoring visitors to the mother's home to ensure that rest times are not interrupted;
- Keeping a diary with details of the mother and baby's progress for use by doctors and midwives.
Still, it's good to know the electoral strategy of bribing the middle-classes is still well-favoured. If you're reading Dave, I'll take the £20/week marriage bribe and the free nanny - find some way of paying for my holiday in Tuscany and you've got yourself a vote.